Here are MY TOP 5 Hacks that help me navigate long-distance international travel:
- Flight time – Chose flights that align with your natural life patterns. For example, it’s easier to get on an 8 to 13 hours flight after 8 pm because in 2 hours I fall asleep at my usual bedtime, and stay asleep for 8 hours skipping unnecessary, idle flight snacking.
- Travel eating – Long flights serve 2 meals and 1 or 2 snacks. unfortunately, in a sedentary state, all foods sits in you for the many hours which is not ideal. Personally, I call the airline and ask for low sodium, low carb meals + snacks which are lower in calories, and even then, I skip snacks to not break daily caloric intake.
- Staying hydrated – My water bottle travels with me. I fill up my bottle in airports that have refill stations, and request bottle refills on long flights. Upon arrival at a layover destination, I find a grocery store/supermarket and stock up on bottles or gallons.
- Keep moving – Gym availability – In cases of international flights, Booking hotel is usually based upon gym availability or proximity. When on long flight layovers in for example in Amsterdam’s busy Schipol Airport, there is a Hotel next door that has a gym + shower for 20 euros. I frequent Dubai’s terminal hotel for a couple hours sleep and a gym as well. Working out helps keep your energy up and helps reset the body clock.
- Plan all the above beforehand – Take a moment to mentally walk through your trip, plan for the areas that can trip you up. Planning ensures that there are no surprises. Also, do all your ‘work’ beforehand – Workout beforehand, maintain 100% nutrition compliance with meals leaving a negligible margin of error Should 1 or 2 things not go as planned.
Making a choice in advance and planning your actions, is the best way to avoid Oooops situations that can quickly unravel progress IF you gain weight super fat [like me] It puts you in control of your health.
The body is an intelligent LIVING thing…it’s like a genie in a bottle. Your every action is its every command. It doesn’t care that you’re traveling, on vacation or back to structured living…when you move, it moves #justlikethat 🙂
If You Fail to Plan. Plan to Fail.
Now….I’m back in Kenya and I’m dodging some yummy, unhealthy foods all day…errdayy. Did I mention relatives and friends that try to feed me every possible moment possible? How do I manage? What’s my secret to keeping my weight in check for the next several weeks? A toughie…but I always have something in my arsenal of tricks*rubs hands together*
Stay tuned for my next email and drop a comment or question about this post.
Jane, Bless your soul. I’m such a disciple. Looking forward to.10pm.
Thanks Jane.. great travel hacks
Those are great tips. Very informative and doable.
This is very enlightening. Now I know what to do on my next flight.
Nice to hear from you.
Do we have boot camp this time around?
Wao! I just envy your will power. I dont believe i always get trapped in these foods. Keep up the spirit girl.
Wow this is so cool Thank you n ebjoy ur time in kenya ?
That’s really awesome.
Am slim but would like to keep fit and gain muscle
Great to hear from you again dear,my problem is how can I loose my weight am really disturbed over 100 kgs
Hey! Am a body builder and I’ve learnt to travel with my meals.Shakes come in handy so does chicken and broccoli I try eat my tuna before I board to avoid the nasty looks from the tuna smell.Yeah I hear you! Kenyan yummy food is a derailer for real??♀️??♀️??♀️
Thanks for sharing your travel hacks. Enjoy your stay in Kenya. God bless
Thank you so much dear for this insight. By following your program I have seen changes and hopefully I’ll lose 17kgs more.
Wow this is so helpful thanks for sharing Jane
Quite a enlightening read! Great travel hacks you have got Jane! Thanks for sharing! X
Thanks for your tips. Saw your interview on Talk Central – K24 station. It was great. Welcome back to Kenya!
Wow!Just wow. You are inspirational Jane. Keep on sharing your secrets….. with love
Welcome home dear, you are my idol,
Awesome time and flight planning here
Comment…Thanks Jane,you’re really a motivator, a mentor and a role model too.You are an inspiration to many, I really like your way of life and the energy you put on always, I salute you gal,you inspire me to push on with the fitness challenge,am certain it’s going to change my life forever.
This is just awesome. At least l have learnt something lm one of those people who rewards themselves with all kinds of goodies when holiday.
Whether long or just a week will always add after holiday.
Like when you go for more than a month for holiday can practicing IF help with the gaining weight??
Nime soma Leo. Am good at asking people if they need any special meals on board but never thought I too needed. Mmmmm..
Low sodium – Tick
Low carbohydrates – Tick
Low calorie snacks – Tick
Am good to go on my next flight.
That amazing at least i have an idea of what to do when travelling. my husband and I have just finished the 10 day detox and now its getting our body back to shape by working out.
Nice read. Thanks for the tips
This is really great Jenny, already I have an idea on how to manage myseld when travelling. I hope one day I will attain a flat sexy waistline. Thank you for your continued support to ensure women all over the world live healthy and love themselves
Damn I got an idea when am traveling…finish my detox n am happy abt my body..I can see the different tho the struggle its real I always me sure I watch what I put on my mouth n gym now days its my bae…..thank u fr all these tips……
That’s amazing. I have learnt a lot on what to do while travelling. Question Jane Can I get the supply for detox when doing it alone at my own time not as a group?
Very ignorant.. Thank you
This autocorrect though..
Very informative… Thank you
Wow!! This is awesum..am sure this article will help someone especially frequent travellers.
N welcome back home..but it ain’t harmful to have a bite of home’s fav traditional meals!!
Keep it up
Thanks soo much for your inspiration ,next time am traveling am gonna plan not to fail
You are so disciplined.I envy you.
Very nice. I admire your consistence
The commitment to a healthy lifestyle is above and beyond. Kudos. Thanks for sharing, encouraged to keep doing the right things no matter the change in circumstances. No excuses lifestyle…
so wise of you
Very nice and informative info. Scheduled to for holiday in Malindi and i will surely carry my gym wear even if i have to work out at the beach…i love working out.
Thank you very much Jane.