Did you know sugar is the number 1 ingredient that contributes to weight gain and that keeps you from losing weight?
The 4 common types of sugar
1. Glucose, also known as blood sugar, is the body’s fuel. Glucose is the proverbial electricity/power that keeps you alive and metabolized in the cells.
2. Sucrose is commonly known as table sugar – the white stuff you put in your coffee or tea every morning
3. Fructose is found in fruits and metabolized or processed in the liver
4. High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is derived from corn/maize and the most popular additive to products in the US
Click to watch the video below to learn more:
Added sugars from external sources are known as simple carbohydrates or simple sugars found in cakes, cookies, sodas, chocolate, candy etc
Once consumed, you get an almost immediate increase of energy because the body doesn’t need to work hard to convert to glucose and why children (and adults) get crazy energy rafter eating sweet stuff followed…by a crash
Eliminating cake, cookies is great and will minimize glucose levels, however, the body also gets glucose from starchy and complex carbohydrates (sweet potatoes, oats, rice) and minimal amounts from fibrous carbohydrates (vegetables)
Unlike simple sugars, complex carbs have fiber and stronger molecular bonds that force the body to work harder to break them down into glucose. For this reason, they keep you full longer, without a blood sugar spike and crash like their counterpart, simple carbs/sugars
Why are simple sugars not good for you?
1. High in calories – 1 tablespoon of table sugar has 48 calories
2. When consumed regularly they spike blood sugar (glucose) which triggers the release of insulin, the fat storage hormone, from the pancreas. Insulin regulates levels of glucose in the blood, but if you’re eating bad foods all day, insulin levels remain elevated
3. Constant high level of insulin in the body causes weight gain, obesity, insulin resistance diabetes (type 2) and metabolic conditions
Food items with hidden unhealthy sugars – Watch the video as I explain more about how sugar is hidden in these food items – Salad dressings, Baked beans, Cereal, Tomato sauce/ketchup or the sauce for pasta, flavored water – any water with a sweet taste, dried fruit, Muesli/Granola, Granola bars, Nut butters (peanut butter, almonds butter, etc), Jam, marmalades, marinades,
Is honey, canderel, splenda, agave healthy? Stay tuned for Sugar and weight loss Part 2 video next week where I discuss unhealthy sugars and healthy sugars 🙂
Did you find this Video helpful? Drop a yes in the comments and share what you learned. Also, please feel free to share the blog with your friends 🙂
PS: Watch SUGAR AND WEIGHT LOSS PART 2 by visiting -> https://iamjanemukami.com/sugar-weight-loss-part-2-sugar-alternatives-that-support-weight-loss/